Jaguar SS Saloon ((1937))
Vehicle descriptionLaunched at the Mayfair Hotel, London on 23 September 1935, this was the first model to carry the Jaguar name. This was the first four-door car offered by the SS Company. Together with the new body and the new name came a new overhead valve engine, developed with the help of consultant engineer Harry Weslake. This six-cylinder engine gave 102bhp, a great improvement on the 70bhp which had been available from the SSI side-valve engine. For the first two years, the Jaguars had coachbuilt bodies with ash frames until the company adopted an all-steel body for the 1938 model year. The 2½-litre saloon was to remain in production up until 1949 by which time over 6,777 had been built, of which 3,444 were the original coachbuilt cars. The 2½ litre could reach a top speed of 86mph and represented extremely elegant touring car, the road ahead illuminated by imposing P100 headlamps.
|Registration no:||EGO 230|