Vauxhall 25 GL Limousine (1938)
The Vauxhall 25 HP G-Series was introduced in August 1936 and produced until 1939 There were two wheelbase lengths: Model GY with 9 ft 2½- in for Saloon, Sports Saloon and Drophead Coupe and Model GL with 10ft 10in for Seven-Seater Saloon and Limousine.
These cars had a 3215-cc OHV six-cylinder engine, giving a maximum speed of 80 mph. Standard equipment included a heater. 1936/37 models had a clutch operated starter. Vauxhall motor company was origionaly set up in 1857 by Alexander Wilson (as Alexander Wilson & Co, Engineers) in the Vauxhall Iron Works in Wandsworth Road. He manufactured marine engines and other engineering items and took the Fulk's grin as his company badge.
He had left the company by 1894 and in 1897 the company's name was changed to the Vauxhall Iron Works Co Ltd. The company expanded into a number of premises in the Vauxhall area.
The main factory was on what is now the Sainsbury's petrol station on Wandsworth Road opposite the end of Wyvil Street. Panel beating took place in what became the Myers bed factory in Tyers Street but the need for more working space caused the company to move to Luton in 1905.
|Engine:||3215-cc OHV straight 6 (25bhp)|