Jaguar Mk IV (1947)
Vehicle descriptionThis is where the Jaguar saloon car story really begins. In the pre-war Swallow Sidecar and SS era, the company had cut its teeth building increasingly desirable sports cars and saloons, but with the 1.5 Litre and its larger brothers, the newly renamed Jaguar Car Company really started to fly. In the aftermath of World War II, company founder William Lyons revived Jaguar production in late 1945 with cars that carried forward the make's 1937-39 styling. That renowned Jaguar design featured swoopy, close-coupled bodywork, with flowing wings and a traditional upright radiator grille flanked by large, freestanding, headlamps. Wire wheels were standard. Mechanically the 1.5-litre initially utilized a 1,608cc OHV four-cylinder Standard engine, but from 1938 this was bored out to 1775cc and was equipped with a 4-speed manual transmission. The cars were built on a separate chassis frame with suspension by semi-elliptic leaf springs on rigid axles front and rear with mechanically operated brakes using a Girling system.
|Registration no:||XVV 162|